Maca Root Benefits in Athletic Performance. Do you remember in our last article where we talked about “Things to know about Maca root”? We took a step-by-step look at some essential minerals that make up this ancient Peruvian superfood, how they work, and how they benefit our body. Just as a reminder, here is what we discussed:
Nutritional and beneficial properties of Maca root are:
High in Protein: We all know that protein plays a vital role to build and repair tissues, to make enzymes, hormones and other body chemicals. It is also an important building block of blood, muscles, bones, cartilage and skin. Maca contains 10% protein, which comes in handy for endurance athletes such as triathletes as it helps in the recovery process from injuries incurred during training.
High in Plant Sterols: Maca root contains quite a number of plant sterols such as Sitosterol, Campestral, Ergosterol, Brassicasterol, and Ergostadienol, which have been proven in more than 50 clinical studies to lower cholesterol and promote hormone balance. While plant sterols may not be nutritionally appropriate for pregnant or breastfeeding women and children under 5 years, it makes for a great dietary supplement for high-performance athletes and individuals who are trying to keep fit or lose weight.
High in Trace Nutrient content: Trace minerals such as calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and linoleic fatty acids, provide unique benefits such as transporting oxygen to the muscles and boosting the synthesis of neurotransmitters for a healthy brain function, support energy levels and boost stamina and vitality, which can be nothing but the perfect trifecta for sports and health enthusiasts.
Rich in Iodine: Maca contains about 10 micrograms of iodine per 10 grams of the root. Iodine is important for a proper thyroid function as it makes the hormones that help to regulate metabolic rate and keep the heart, lungs, and intestines healthy. The recommended daily intake of iodine is 150 micrograms per day.
High in Carbohydrates: 60 percent of Maca root is mainly carbohydrate in the form of starches and sugars, which is the body’s main source of energy that helps fuel muscles, heart, brain, kidneys, the central nervous system, aids digestion, increases satiety, and keeps blood cholesterol levels in check. This is why Maca root powder is recommended to athletes as an exercise and dietary supplement. It is also a favorite among raw-food foodies in making power smoothies.
High in Selenium: It is an important trace mineral for a healthy immune system, fertility, and cognitive function. The recommended daily intake for selenium is 55 microgram per day for a healthy production or prostaglandins, which regulate and reduce inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, and prostate cancer. It can also prevent the formation of free radicals and prevent sunburn when paired with vitamin E. Caution must, however, be exercised because consuming too much selenium may cause toxicity (although rare) such as skin and nail changes, tooth decay and neurological abnormalities.
High in B Vitamins: These 8 B vitamins help our bodies convert food into fuel in order to keep us energized and our bodies running like well-oiled machines. It’s no wonder the Inca people relied heavily on the Maca roots to build Machu Pichu! B vitamins also promote healthy skin and hair, prevents migraines and memory loss.
We are going to look at some of the benefits associated with consuming Maca powder for performance purposes all the while keeping in mind The Top 7 Benefits of Maca Root, which are:
- Increased fertility
- Increased libido
- Hormonal Balance and decreased PMS and menopause symptoms
- Increased energy
- Increased endurance and stamina
- Mental clarity
- Decrease in depression
Maca Roots for Physical and Performance Benefits
- As previously discussed, Maca root has a high concentration of nutrients and minerals that enhance performance exercises. Its powder can be used as a natural supplement by athletes and individuals who want to bulk up without the use of harmful anabolic androgenic steroids that have negative side effects in the body.
- Maca roots tonic is a natural antioxidant and helps minimize muscle soreness by increasing the number of immune cells in the body that are responsible for muscle repair. The high quality levels of digestible protein and small amounts of fats and fiber in Maca roots are known to reduce recovery time from exercise related injuries as well as improve performance and boost energy levels following strenuous activities such as exercising.
- Minerals such as Calcium, Silica, phosphorus, and Magnesium are vital for bone health to protect against injury such as fractures during athletic training. Sufficient amounts of calcium found in this traditional Peruvian Maca root has been shown to be a remedy for arthritis and joint problems.
It may also prevent against the risks of osteoporosis and other bone related diseases. This is especially great news for all athletes and bodybuilders. Results from studies shown that the benefits of Maca roots were increased levels of cartilage, increases circulation and decreased inflammation.
- Motivation is key for peak performance and consuming Maca powder is said to have mood-lifting effects that promote increased motivation during workouts. People who regularly consume Maca have shown to have low levels of stress, anxiety, and depression thanks to Maca root powders ability to restore proper hormonal balance, elevate endorphins, stabilize blood sugar levels and maintain adrenal health, which by now, we know that it regulates moods and energy levels.
- Anyone who is into endurance sports such as athletics or weightlifting knows the importance and benefits of optimal strength and stamina that help burn more calories, lose weight and go about your daily workout effortlessly. Carbohydrates present in Maca root, when taken as a pre-workout is believed to enhance performance by supplying the muscles with glycogen they need during high-intensity workouts.
- Maca root contains DIM (Diindolylmethane) a photochemical that greatly improve hormone balance by stimulating more efficient estrogen metabolism that leads to greater levels of testosterone levels.
So get your Maca root on today and experience its wonderful benefits for optimal health.