Runners Recipe – Spirulina Energy Portable Snack
Superfood on the go
Hello Super Athletes,
Ready for a new recipe? This time I will propose you to make your own Spirulina based snack. A protein packed portable balls to take with you on the go.
First of all, which are the key benefits of Spirulina?
I will focus on the runners/ triathletes/endurance athletes needs:
- Promotes antioxidant activity after exercise
- Utilize fat for Energy
- Supports the body’s ability to preserve glycogen stores
- Reduces oxidative damage and promotes antioxidant activity after exercise
Spirulina Energy Globes Recipe:
Recipe’s author: McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN
Prep time and total times: 30 mins – Serves: 24 balls
- 1 cup organic raw almonds
- 1 cup organic dates, soaked (keep 3-4 Tbs. of the water you soaked the dates in)
- ¼ cup dried apricots
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts
- ¼ cup organic raw almond butter
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 heaping tablespoons raw cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut into the mixture (have 2-3 tablespoons for rolling)
- 1 tablespoon organic spirulina
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt (or other sea salt varieties)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all the nuts and seeds in a food processor or high speed blender to pulse until broken down (you can choose to leave some chunks or pulse until fine).
- Pour the processed almonds, pistachios, and flax seed into a large mixing bowl.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine softened dates and apricots.
- Add the nut/seed mixture with the dates/apricots into the blender.
- Combine until the mixture resembles a sticky, thick “batter”.
- Place the combined mixture into a large mixing bowl and fold the remaining ingredients manually.
- Place the “batter” into the freezer for about 10 minutes or until cooled.
- Take a Tbs. or a small ice-cream scooper to measure the batter.
- Gently roll the Tbs. of “batter” into your hands until a small ball forms.
- Once you have formed all the “batter” into small balls, you may roll them into the 2-3 Tbs. of shredded coconut (this is optional)
- Store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days OR you may keep them in the freezer and grab and go for a quick snack.
- Sprinkle Coconut on your Globes and Enjoy!
Thanks to author of this delicious recipe McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN